Get the most out of your financial aid. File early!

Facebook Twitter Linkedin Plusone Email


The financial aid process can seem complex, but the following information will keep you on track. If you have concerns or questions, please call the Northeast State Financial Aid Office at 423.323.0252 and the staff can help walk you through the process or e-mail and staff will assist you via e-mail.

A new application for financial aid must be filed for each academic year as soon as possible after January 1. Completed FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) applications received by March 1 will receive priority consideration for limited financial aid funds. However, Tennessee State Assistance Awards (TSAA) are available only to Tennessee residents whose financial aid application is received and processed soon after January 1.


To be eligible to apply for State and federally funded aid programs, you must meet the following requirements:

U.S. citizen, U.S. national, U.S. permanent residency who has an I-151, I-551, or I-551C or refugee. If you are not in one of these categories, you may view more guidelines posted in the Guide to Federal Student Aid in the Glossary Section.

Regular high school diploma or successful GED.

Social Security number (name on FAFSA application must match the Social Security card).

No convictions for possession/sale of illegal drugs while enrolled in college.

Selective Service registration for males 18 to 25 years of age.

Free Application for Federal Student Aid

By completing the FAFSA, you are applying for the Federal Pell Grant, Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (SEOG), Federal Work-Study (FWS), Tennessee Student Assistance Award (TSAA), Tennessee Education Lottery Scholarship (TELS) and some institutional and local scholarships.

Include Northeast State’s Federal School Code Number 005378.

Submit your FAFSA information at

All students must obtain a Personal Identification Number (PIN) at to electronically “sign” a submitted FAFSA. A parent must also obtain a PIN to sign a dependent student’s application.

Where to Use PIN

Students may use a PIN at the following Department of Education web sites:

FAFSA on the Web: The PIN may be used to electronically “sign” a submitted FAFSA, obtain a copy of a processed FAFSA, complete a Renewal FAFSA, and submit corrections to a processed FAFSA.

The National Student Loan Data System: This site provides a history of federal student financial aid received.

Student Aid Report (SAR)

The SAR is the notice of potential eligibility from the federal government for the Federal Pell Grant and the basis for potential eligibility for other need-based student aid programs.

Federal Work-Study Program

To be considered for the Federal Work-Study Program, students must complete a Federal Work-Study Application and submit it to the Financial Aid Office.


The federal government selects a percentage of all aid applicants for a process called verification. If your FAFSA is selected for verification, you must submit all documents requested by the Financial Aid Office.

New service provided by Financial Aid Office

newserviceBring in these 13 items and the Financial Aid office will assist you in completing the financial aid application online. Students will get a quicker response on their eligibility and the application will be more accurate, saving time later to make corrections.

1 The student’s Northeast State ID number as generated by submission of the Northeast State Application for Admission.

2 Copy of 2012 Tax Returns for the 2013-14 FAFSA and/or 2013 Tax Returns for the 2014-15 FAFSA. Dependent students must bring student and parent(s) taxes. Independent students must bring student/spouse taxes. Please be prepared to grant permission to the IRS to import your tax information to your FAFSA. *If you have not completed your 2013 taxes, you can still submit your 2014-15 FAFSA.

3 Copy of 2012 W2s for the 2013-14 FAFSA and/or a copy of 2013 W2s for the 2014-15 FAFSA. Dependent students must bring student and parent(s) W2s. Independent students must bring student/spouse W2s. **For questions regarding dependent or independent status, please contact the Financial Aid Help Center**

4 List of all untaxed income received in the household, child support, VA disability, worker’s compensation, housing allowances, IRA accounts, etc.

5 List of child support paid out for a child and the child’s name.

6 FAFSA PIN (Personal Identification Number). If a dependent student, parent must also have a FAFSA PIN number. A PIN may also be obtained during the appointment.

7 Social Security card.

8 If a dependent student, the student must know or have the parental date of marriage/divorce, date of residency, birth dates, and parental Social Security numbers.

9 If a ward of the court, the student must bring court documentation.

10 If an orphan, the student must submit documentation.

11 If food stamps are received in the household, the student must bring Department of Human Services certification.

12 If the student or parents have stocks, bonds, CDs, trust fund, real estate, partnerships, etc., please have the net value of each.

13 Student and parent e-mail addresses.

No mailed, e-mailed, or faxed copies of the above items can be accepted by the Financial Aid Help Center. All documentation must be supplied by the student at the time of the appointment.

The Financial Aid Help Center is located in Room C2402 of the General Studies on Northeast State’s main campus in Blountville. Contact 423.354.5153 or for more information.

Facebook Twitter Linkedin Plusone Email