The financial aid process can seem complex, but the following information will keep you on track. If you have concerns or questions, please call the Northeast State Financial Aid Office at 423.323.0252 and the staff can help walk you through the process or e-mail and staff will assist you via e-mail.

A new application for financial aid must be filed for each academic year as soon as possible after October 1. Completed FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) applications received by January 17 will receive priority consideration for limited financial aid funds. However, Tennessee State Assistance Awards (TSAA) are available only to Tennessee residents whose financial aid application is received and processed soon after October 1.


To be eligible to apply for State and federally funded aid programs, you must meet the following requirements:

  • U.S. citizen, U.S. national, U.S. permanent residency who has an I-151, I-551, or I-551C or refugee. If you are not in one of these categories, you may view more guidelines posted in the Guide to Federal Student Aid in the Glossary Section.
  • Regular high school diploma or successful GED.
  • Social Security number (name on FAFSA application must match the Social Security card).
  • Additional requirements may be found at or by contacting the financial aid staff.
  • Selective Service registration for males 18 to 25 years of age.

Free Application for Federal Student Aid

By completing the FAFSA, you are applying for the Federal Pell Grant, Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (SEOG), Federal Work-Study (FWS), Tennessee Student Assistance Award (TSAA), Tennessee Education Lottery Scholarship (TELS), Tennessee Promise, and some institutional and local scholarships.

  • Include Northeast State’s Federal School Code Number 005378.
  • Submit your FAFSA information at

Financial Aid Facts

  • Approximately 60 percent of Northeast State students receive some form of financial aid.
  • Attending Northeast State your freshman and sophomore years may save you more than $7,500 in tuition alone.

Student Aid Report (SAR)

The SAR is the notice of potential eligibility from the federal government for the Federal Pell Grant and the basis for potential eligibility for other need-based student aid programs.

Federal Work-Study Program

To be considered for the Federal Work-Study Program, students must complete a Federal Work-Study Application and submit it to the Financial Aid Office.


The federal government selects a percentage of all aid applicants for a process called verification. If your FAFSA is selected for verification, you must submit all documents requested by the Financial Aid Office.

Financial Aid Help Center is a new service provided by the Financial Aid Office

The Help Center assists students with the FAFSA or Free Application for Federal Student Aid.  Due to the high demand for this service you will need to schedule an appointment by going to the website

  • FSA ID and Password (not the same as a PIN). If a dependent student, parent must also have an FSA ID and Password. An FSA ID and Password may be obtained at The FSA ID is required to sign the FAFSA application. Completing this step at least (3) days prior to the appointment will allow more time to focus on your FAFSA application during your appointment.
  • Social Security card for student. Parental date of marriage/divorce, date of residency, birth dates, and Social Security numbers for parents of dependent students.
  • Student and parent e-mail addresses.
  • If a ward of the court, orphan or guardianship, the student must bring court documentation.
  • Copy of 2015 Tax Returns for the 2016-17 and 2017-2018 FAFSA. Dependent students must bring student and parent(s) taxes. Independent students must bring student/spouse taxes. Please be prepared to grant permission to the IRS to import your tax information to your FAFSA.
  • Copy of 2015 W2s for the 2016-17 and 2017-2018 FAFSA. Dependent students must bring student and parent(s) W2s. Independent students must bring student/spouse W2s.
  • List of child support paid out and received for any children.
  • List of untaxed income and assets received in the household such as: VA disability, worker’s compensation, housing and food, allowances for military and clergy.
  • Checking/Savings account balance for student  and parent (if dependent).  If the student or parents have stocks, bonds, stock options, mutual funds, CDs, trust fund UGMA and UTMA accounts, real estate (not your home), partnerships, etc., please have the net value of each.

No mailed, e-mailed, or faxed copies of the above items can be accepted by the Financial Aid Help Center. All documentation must be supplied by the student at the time of the appointment.

The Financial Aid Help Center is located in Room C2406 of the General Studies on Northeast State’s Blountville campus. Make an appointment at Contact for more information.